THE AMERICAN KENNEL CLUB OFFERS TIPS FOR MAKING THIS HOLIDAY SEASON SAFE FOR YOUR DOG
The holiday season is a time to spend with your family, but beware of the dangers the season may be hiding for your beloved dog. You may not realize it, but many of the decorations and food the season brings can be dangerous for Fido. The American Kennel Club (AKC®) offers the following tips for making the holidays safe for your pup.
- When decorating your home, avoid using food such as popcorn or cranberry strands. If your pup eats them, they can cause blockages, which often require surgery to remove.
- Shiny ornaments, such as tinsel, glass bulbs, and things that sparkle, should be placed higher up on your tree where Fido can’t reach them. Ingesting ornaments can cause major problems for your pup.
- Real Christmas trees, poinsettias, holly, and mistletoe all pose threats to your dog. You may want to consider an artificial tree, but if you do have a natural tree, make sure Fido doesn’t swallow the pine needles or drink the tree water which can cause stomach irritation. Poinsettias, holly, and mistletoe can be poisonous to pets and should be kept out of reach.
- Remember that exposed wires from holiday lights could electrocute your dog if he chews on them. Tape indoor wires to the wall and outdoor wires to the side of the house where your pup can’t reach them.
- Table butter, meat, and candy are common parts of the holiday meal that can make your dog very ill. Take care to keep these foods out of reach.
- Chocolate is another food that is a common cause of sickness in dogs around the holidays. Baking chocolate or dark chocolate in particular can cause serious health problems in your pup.
© The American Kennel Club, Inc.