By Bianca Kapteyn
There is no sincere of love than the love of food – George Bernard Shaw
I have been feeding my dog Otis, Gather, by Petcurean – organic, non-GMO and sustainably processed dog food, as well as their vegan recipe. I’ve been alternating between the formulas the last 14 months.
Recently I was sent two samplers of their “Sensitivity + Shine, limited ingredient diet” product, GO! The GO! samplers included grass-fed lamb and Pollock recipes (both grain-free).
I also received three packages of Now Fresh Stew Recipes – made with whole-food ingredients, salmon, turkey, pork, vegetables and fruits. It’s the one of the first pet food lines to come in Tetra Pak cartons. The packaging is a breeze to tear open from both ends – especially helpful for anyone who has arthritic fingers or thumbs.
Now Fresh Stew smells and looks like a home-prepared meal designed for a dog. Otis likes the smell and texture and has gobbled them up, both served alone and as a topper. Now Fresh is ideally suited for a smaller dog – Otis is a Wheaten terrier and weighs just under 20 kilos. Costs would be prohibitive in my household if he were just fed Fresh Stew Recipe. As a topper, however, it is a non-issue.
Eight weeks later, and we’re on the fourth bag of GO! SENSITIVITY, salmon recipe. I feel enough time has passed to conclude that my dog is thriving, maintaining his weight, coat and muscle tone quite well for a dog in his 15th year.
Simply put, I feel confident in feeding him any of the Petcurean Brands.
The recipes are formulated by Dr. Jennifer Adophe, Petcurean’s Senior Pet Nutritionist. She holds a PhD in Companion Animal Nutrition.
‘You are what you eat.’
We all “get” the importance of feeding our furry BFFs healthy food. I expect the pet food I am buying to meet my standards.
I look for the “trifecta” in a pet food company.
#1. Practice humane animal treatment (food-animals in the ingredients must have had only “one bad day”).
#2. Ingredients: single sourced protein (lamb, pollock, chicken), whole fruits and vegetables.
#3. Environmentally conscious packaging.
Kudos to Petcurean, a family-owned Canadian Company based in Chilliwack BC, for its ethno in good Stewardship in humane animal welfare practices, sustainability programs and being environmentally conscious while creating their recipes – by producing less energy with their “environ-friendly” pet food ovens.
- All NOW FRESH ingredients must follow humane animal welfare practices; protect water supplies; protect producer livelihoods; ensure the preservation of natural resources and be working to preserve biodiversity.
- NOW FRESH is made with 100% fresh wild salmon, turkey and pork. It also uses 100% fresh potatoes, carrots, peas, cranberries, sweet potatoes, flaxseed and apples, which are excellent sources of antioxidants, essential vitamins & minerals and dietary fibre to support digestive health.
- There are absolutely NO grains, gluten, wheat, beef, chicken, corn, soy, rendered meat, by-products, added growth hormones or artificial preservatives in any NOW FRESH recipe.
- GO!™ recipes were created especially for pets who are fussy about their food, who need a grain free or higher protein diet, and for those requiring a recipe with unique proteins, or a limited number of ingredients. And because we all want our pets to stay healthy and happy, we also have a recipe which provides whole body preventative care, for life!
- GO! is a complete, nutrient-packed food with zero growth hormones, by-products, or artificial preservatives.
- Our GO! SENSITIVITY + SHINE™ recipes are great for all dogs, but were formulated especially for dogs with specific dietary needs and food sensitivities. All life stage recipes for dogs are carefully prepared with select meat proteins, unique carbs, and essential omega oils.
- GO! SENSITIVITY + SHINE recipes also feature:
- Zero grains, gluten or potatoes
- Antioxidants to support increased immunity
- Omega oils for healthy skin and coat
- Zero by-product meals, added growth hormones or artificial preservatives
- Zero wheat, beef, chicken, corn or soy
Whatever your lifestyle choice is for your dog – choose what’s right for you and your dog – look for simple ingredients and if you need help in understanding what makes a good formula check out this new website resource which is called “Nutrition From Nose to Tail. “ from the Pet Food Institute based in the USA.
Check out Canine Culture’s Facebook Fan Page for details for a P R O D U C T G I V E A W A Y PROVIDED BY PETCUREAN